As part of the Leaps and Bounds Music Festival, Foreign Brothers & Stani Goma present Flight To Africa a unique trip into the sounds of local African-Australian musicians aiming to make you move, dance and celebrate.
From HipHop to Neo-Soul, Afrobeat and Funk to Panafrican traditional music, we’ve put together this unique line-up aiming at celebrating the talents in our scene and the diversity of musicians that make it.
So come down and vibe with us to the sounds of:
- P-UniQue: From supporting 30/70, Masta Ace to releasing her first clip and performing to countless local venues with always the same energy, P-Unique delivers a raw and fierce performance for the HipHop heads.
- NIASHA (full band): After killing it at our Momentum sessions last year, Niasha is back with her full band! Deeply rooted in Neo-Soul, her sound is a culmination of infectious grooves, positive energy and a damn charismatic voice...
- Melbourne African Traditional Ensemble - MATE: Newly established ensemble Melbourne African Traditional Ensemble - MATE is a Pan African music project that brings together a range of traditional instruments from different parts of Africa to create new musical concepts based on the principles of Ujamaa.
- Alárìíyá: After touring and performing with Seun Kuti & Egypt 80 over a decade, trumpet player Olugbade has formed his own Nigerian Afrobeat ensemble delivering energy-filled performances throughout Melbourne. Meaning 'Party People' in Yoruba, Alárìíyá will ensure the spirit of Fela lives on with this powerful-dance orientated set.
- Ausecuma Beats: Holding down a residency at Bar Oussou every Sunday, Ausecuma Beats are quickly rising in the scene as one of the most charismatic bands with their blend of Australian, African and Cuban influences. Bringing in their percussion expertise, their set is a culmination of dance, positivity and straight fun.
- KIX: Afro Turn Up (PBS FM) show host KIX, is one of our favorite selectors. She’ll be bringing the flavors of contemporary African music all night in-between sets.
Finally, Flight 1067 to Africa (PBS FM) host Stani Goma and spoken word artist Tariro Mavondo will be hosting the night, bringing it all together and providing the story(ies) behind this exceptional line-up.